Founded in 1786 by Benjamin Woolfield, he was later joined by Charles Washington Shirley Deakin, who together with C.W.B Moore traded as Deakin and Moore from 1848 – 1879. Upon Moores retirement, Stephen Deakin joined his uncle Charles and the firm became Deakin and Nephew from 1879 – 1881. When Charles Deakin retired in 1881, Stephen was joined by brother-in-law John H Francis and the name changed to the name as it stands today, Deakin and Francis. Seven generations after our ancestors developed the product range and taking over from their father, the business is today managed by brothers Henry and James Deakin.